Many people who go see a bankruptcy attorney for the first time aren’t sure what to expect, but know they need help with their debt. Even if you don’t know what to expect and maybe don’t really know anything about bankruptcy, its smart to go see a lawyer to find out what you don’t know. Here are some things that you can do before your appointment that will make the most of your bankruptcy consultation:
- Know what your monthly expenses are (housing, food, clothes, car payment, utilities, etc.)
- Gather paystubs, and those of your spouse, even if your spouse isn’t filing
- Make a list of your debt totals for each category (for example, how much you owe for credit cards, for loans, for medical debt, for past due mortgage, etc.)
- If you have a side business or other income, know what you have coming in from that in an average month
- If you own real estate, have an idea of what it is worth (even if just from Zillow or one of those online places, you can get a more precise estimate later if necessary).
- How much you owe on your real estate (mortgage and/or equity balances)
If you don’t have this information in advance of your first meeting with a bankruptcy lawyer, that’s okay, but you’ll need it eventually and the more information you can provide upfront, the easier it will be for the attorney to evaluate your options under bankruptcy.
If you are curious about bankruptcy, come in to see us before your debt continues to grow. The sooner you can find out your options, the sooner you can make the changes you need. Located in Schaumburg and Itasca, O'Connor Cadiz Law can help you sort through your bankruptcy options. Call now to set up a no obligation free consultation. 630 250-8813