Will signing an Illinois Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity give me Father's Rights?

No. If you father a child and are not married to the mother at the time of birth, you may be asked to sign a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity form in Illinois, also know as a "VAP". This document makes it known that you are the dad. That's it. End of Story. What about my Fathers' Rights as a dad? Signing this form doesn't get you there, sorry. 

Carol O'Connor Cadiz
Connect with me
Attorney & Owner at O'Connor Cadiz Law: Bankruptcy, Injury, Real Estate & Mediation