Can I change judges in my Illinois Divorce or Child Custody Case?

Judges can be substituted once as a matter of right early on in the case and only before a judge has made a substantive ruling. If you want to change judges in your divorce case because you don't like how they decided an issue on your case, you will probably be out of luck. After a judge has decided on an issue in your case, any request to substitute would have to be for cause. If you want to change judges, your lawyer can discuss it with you but normally it is not a good idea or not possible. 

Carol O'Connor Cadiz
Connect with me
Attorney & Owner at O'Connor Cadiz Law: Bankruptcy, Injury, Real Estate & Mediation