A Special Process Server is going to serve my Divorce/Custody Petition- Will they Succeed?

Many courts require that service of process be attempted by the sheriff of the county in which the other person lives and while different sheriffs have different rates of success, in my experience it can be hit or miss. If the sheriff was unable to serve your ex in your Illinois custody or divorce case, a Special Process Server may then be used. These individuals are usually private detectives ("private eyes") but do not have to be.  They almost always succeed so long as the address that they are supplied with is correct.  One big difference between sheriffs and private process servers is that most sheriffs' offices will not accept any direction. The sheriff will try when the sheriff tries - often up to 3 times, but will not go at a specified time or date.  When I work with special process servers in my divorce or custody cases, I help them out by sending along a recent photo of the person who they are trying to get served. I also include in my cover letter any information that may be helpful- such as their days off from work or times they are likely to be at home. Descriptions about the car they drive is also useful. The process servers that I work with have yet to fail me and usually succeed in a matter of days. In Cook County, a court order must be obtained in advance specifically naming the process server.  If you have recently been served, there is a time frame by which you must act or risk losing your rights! To discuss service of process in your divorce or custody case in Illinois, call O'Connor Cadiz Law to schedule a confidential consultation. 

Carol O'Connor Cadiz
Connect with me
Attorney & Owner at O'Connor Cadiz Law: Bankruptcy, Injury, Real Estate & Mediation