Now that your house is on the market, you are probably feeling overwhelmed and wondering what happens from here. I believe that in order to really be successful at something, you need to be in the proper frame of mind. Moving is stressful and it is important to enjoy the journey and relax. I never realized just how stressful it can be until I sold my home of 11 years, and I know how this stuff works! It can be overwhelming but please remember to just take it one step at a time. A few things to keep in mind which will help you stay sane:
- Stay Organized. Keep all of your papers in the same place. I give my clients a big zip envelope but a simple manilla folder will do, to keep all of your “house” papers in.
- Take Notes. Keep your notes together as related to the sale of your home. There is nothing worse than having little scraps of paper all over the place and not being able to find where you put it, on top of the chaos of the move… Invest in a small notebook that you can carry with you.
- Seek help from your team of professionals. This will include your realtor, lender (if you are also buying) and attorney. Their job is to make this process easier. Ask for help!
- Don’t forget to keep your usual routines. Don’t forget that you still need your rest, healthy foods, exercise and time to relax. This is not a good time to get sick, so take care of yourself.
- Look for the Humor. When we were moving, my husband accidentally packed up all of my shoes- every last pair, and sent them to storage. At the time, I was in another part of the house in my bare feet. I learned that I literally had no shoes on Monday morning as I was getting ready to leave for work (in the winter). Could have ruined my whole day but instead I only let it bother me for a few minutes, figured it out, and realized that it was kind of funny. At least I had socks. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Stay Positive. This will be easier said than done. Moving is an adventure, try to remember how good you will feel when this is behind you. Always look for the good in each situation.
For more tips on selling your home, be sure to sign up for my weekly tips. As a lawyer helping people with the legal side of selling their homes, I really love what I do. Feel free to call me with questions about your Chicago area home closing, I’d be happy to help!